Business & Innovation Faculty
Design and Technology
In Years 7 and 8 students follow a rotation system of study in Design & Technology. They will spend approximately 18 lessons on each project and during these lessons they cover knowledge of materials, processes, tools and equipment specific to that material area and they also develop research, design and evaluative skills. In Years 9, 10 and 11 students can follow GCSE's in Design and Technology as well as Food Preparation and Nutrition. In Years 12 and 13 students can follow an A level in Product Design or a Level 3 course in Food Science and Nutrition.
Programme of Study
All students in Year 7 - Follow 5 rotations lasting 7 to 8 weeks giving an experience in design and make projects within Food, Design and Technology (including wood/metal/plastic/textiles/
All students in Year 8 - Follow a further 5 rotations experiencing a higher level of design and make projects in Food, Design and Technology
GCSE - Students have the chance to opt for a GCSE subject in Design and Technology and/or Food Preparation and Nutrition.
A Level - 3D Product Design
Level 3 qualification - Food Science and Nutrition
Assessments are completed by teacher marking of folder work, practical outcomes, homework and tests. Each student achieves a grade ranging from 1 - 9. The level descriptors are shared with the students and displayed in their folders for reference. Students are set targets to inform them on how to improve their progress.
In the Design and Technology Department we are aware that students enjoy the element of problem solving, being creative in the development of their individual projects and the practical aspect of making what they have designed. In addition to their classroom experience we run events and competitions during the year. These include:
- Rotary Young Chef of the Year for Year 10 Food
- Rotary Design Competition for Years 11, 12 and 13
- Technology Club for all Years
- Trip to the 'Good Food Show'
- Trip to 'Product Design in Action'
- Visit FESTO in Northampton
We are very fortunate in technology to have a wide range of facilities housed in a purpose built block of teaching rooms and workshops.
- Interactive whiteboards and projectors
- 3 x IT suites
- Oculus Quest VR head set to aid sketching
- 3D printer and 3D scanner
- Laser cutter
- CNC Micro router and Milling machine
- Vinyl cutter machine
- Laser imaging transfer system
- 3 x Computerised sewing machines as well as normal sewing machines
- Industrial Blast Chiller to cool food down quickly
- Large range of tools and equipment for use in workshops.
- Welding bay which includes MIG, braze and casting facilities
Food Science and Nutrition